Trademark Usage Guidelines
These Trademark Usage Guidelines (the "Guidelines") set forth the rules for using or referring to the trademarks and service owned by ZOS Communications, LLC or its affiliates ("ZOS"). For the purposes of these Guidelines, "ZOS Trademark(s)" shall include all registered or unregistered trademarks and service marks (such as words, names, symbols, devices, slogans, or combination of these) owned by ZOS, including but not limited to the trademarks and service marks listed on the ZOS Trademark List.
ZOS considers its trademarks and service marks to be among its most valuable intellectual property assets. As such, ZOS intends to take all appropriate measures to preserve the strength of and retain its exclusive rights to use its marks. ZOS asks that you assist us by following these Guidelines.
If you have any questions about the Guidelines, please direct them to
Prohibited Uses Of ZOS Trademarks
- Do Not Use ZOS Trademarks As The Name Of Your Company, Products, Or Services, Or As A Domain Name. You may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, any ZOS Trademark as all or part of your company, product, or service name in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to ZOS’s sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service, or that may dilute the ZOS Trademark. Similarly, you may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, a domain name that incorporates any ZOS Trademark in bad faith or in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to ZOS’s sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service.
- Do Not Use ZOS Logos Without Permission. You may not use any ZOS logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from ZOS authorizing such use.
- Do Not Use ZOS Trademarks In False Or Misleading Advertising. Advertising for ZOS or its products or services offered under the ZOS Trademarks must not be false or misleading in any way and must not be in violation of any applicable law, municipal ordinance, or administrative agency regulation of any country.
- Do Not Use ZOS Trademarks In Objectionable Material. You may not use ZOS Trademarks on or in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic, or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- Do Not Use ZOS Trademarks To Disparage ZOS. You may not use ZOS Trademarks to disparage ZOS, its products or services, or in a manner that, in ZOS’s reasonable judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage the reputation of ZOS or the goodwill in the ZOS Trademarks.
Permissible Uses Of ZOS Trademarks
- Use ZOS Trademarks To Refer To ZOS’s Products Or Services. With the exception of ZOS logos (the use of which must be expressly authorized by ZOS), you generally may use ZOS Trademarks to refer to ZOS’s products or services in advertising, promotional, and sales materials, assuming that you have the necessary authority to sell or promote ZOS’s products or services, e.g. authorized reseller, licensee, etc.
- Use ZOS Trademarks To Indicate A Relationship To ZOS Products. You may indicate the relationship of your products and services to ZOS’s products or services by using an accurate referential phrase in connection with your product or service, for example, "for use with ZOS™ software" or "compatible with ZOS™ products" provided that: (a) the ZOS Trademark appears less prominent than the product or service name; (b) the ZOS Trademark is not a part of or incorporated in your product or service name; and (c) the referential phrase is accurate and complies with the requirements set forth in any license agreement with ZOS.
Rules For Proper Usage Of ZOS Trademarks
Proper usage of ZOS Trademarks is important for their continued protection. Proper usage aids consumers who depend upon ZOS’s goods and services and helps prevent ZOS Trademarks from losing their distinctiveness and becoming generic. Licensees of ZOS Trademarks may have different rules of usage set forth in their license agreement, in which case Licensees should follow those guidelines.
- Set ZOS Trademarks Apart From Surrounding Text. When a ZOS Trademark is used in a non-stylized form, such as in the body text of an advertisement, it should be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the ZOS Trademark may be rendered in boldface type, italics, capital letters, underscored, or set in quotation marks. Examples:
|A variety of resellers and distributors sell ZOS products.
||A variety of resellers and distributors sell zos products.
|A variety of resellers and distributors sell ZOS’s Mobile Command Console™.
||A variety of resellers and distributors sell zos’s mobile command console.
- Use ZOS Trademarks As Adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives and should be followed by the generic term they modify, such as "software" or "product." Never use a trademark as a noun, a verb, or in the possessive form.
|ZOS’s Mobile Command Console™ product provides field force management of your employees at your fingertips.
||Mobile Command Console™ provides field force management of your employees at your fingertips.
- Do Not Abbreviate Or Alter The Spelling Of ZOS Trademarks. You should not vary the appearance of ZOS Trademarks by abbreviating them, incorporating them into acronyms, changing their spelling, or using improper capitalization. The ZOS Trademark List provides the proper spelling and capitalization for each trademark.
- Use The Proper Trademark Symbol. A ZOS Trademark should appear with the proper trademark symbol, which can be found on the ZOS Trademark List. In written materials, the appropriate symbol must be used with the first or most prominent appearance of the ZOS Trademark in headlines and the first time the ZOS Trademark appears in body text. This appropriate symbol also should be used on each subsequent page if the topic is different or if the pages can be separated and distributed independently. If the materials, product packaging, or web page includes a properly licensed ZOS logo, which already includes the appropriate trademark symbol, it is not necessary to include a trademark symbol after the word "ZOS" in the text in that material, product packaging, or web page.
- Use The Proper Trademark Attribution Statement. All marketing collateral, advertisements, product packaging, web pages, manuals, and studies that include ZOS Trademarks also must include the proper trademark attribution statement crediting ownership of the ZOS Trademarks to ZOS Communications, LLC. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package. The correct trademark attribution statement is: ZOS Communications, the ZOS Logo [if applicable] [and any other trademark found on the ZOS Trademarks List that are referred to or displayed in the document] [is/are] trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of ZOS Communications, LLC or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
* In materials displaying a ZOS logo and referring to all ZOS products, the correct trademark attribution statement is: ZOS Communications, the ZOS Logo or the product specific name/logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of ZOS Communications, LLC or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
* In materials referring to the Altiris™ Client Management Suite, Norton™ AntiVirus™, ZOS™ Endpoint Protection, and Veritas NetBackup™ products, but not displaying a ZOS logo, the correct attribution statement is: ZOS Communications or the product specific name are trademarks or registered trademarks of ZOS Communications, LLC or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Usage Rules For ZOS As A Trade Name
"ZOS" functions not only as a trademark mark and service mark identifying goods and services offered by ZOS Communications, LLC, but also as a trade name or company name referring to ZOS Communications, LLC. Trade names are nouns and, therefore, should not be followed by a generic descriptor and may be used in the possessive form. When used as a trade name, "ZOS" should not be followed by a trademark symbol. Within documents, the first reference to the trade or company name should be "ZOS Communications, LLC." "ZOS" can be used for subsequent references.
Usage Rules for ZOS Logos
You may not use any ZOS logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from ZOS authorizing such use. In the event that you are authorized to use a ZOS logo, the use must comply with these additional guidelines (or the usage guidelines set forth in your license agreement, if those guidelines differ).
- Use Only Approved Master Artwork. The ZOS logos are single, standalone pieces of artwork. When reproducing the logos, use only the master artwork provided by ZOS. Do not alter or distort the appearance of the logo in any way, for example, by adding your own design elements or colors or changing the font. The logo must always look sharp, clean, and well produced.
- Allow A Minimum Clear Space Around The ZOS Logo. Always allow for a minimum clear space around the ZOS logo. Never violate the clear space with any graphic elements, words or charts.
- Maintain Legibility. Never reproduce the logo in a manner that causes the logo to become illegible or blurry, which may happen if the logo is reproduced too small.
- Do Not Use ZOS Logos As A Decorative Device. Do not use any ZOS logos for purely decorative purposes in any marketing collateral, packaging, or web site without the express written permission of ZOS.
Misuse Of ZOS Trademarks By Others
If you learn of any uses of any trademarks that are confusingly similar to the ZOS Trademarks, please notify ZOS by sending an e-mail to
. Similarly, if you become aware of any use of a ZOS Trademark that violates any of the rules described above, including failure to identify ZOS Trademarks as belonging to ZOS Communications, LLC, please notify us at
. If possible, please provide a copy of the article or other medium in which the trademark violation appeared.